This blog is now hosted at consciou.us

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Learning Python

I've avoided it for at least 10 years, but I finally bit the bullet.

I am developing an application in Python.

Read on for my take on what I like about Python, and what I didn't like so much.

Great stuff:

  • Functions are first class

  • Great support for object oriented programming

  • Basic feature parity with Perl

  • Great library support (I'll cover some of these in a later post)

  • Closures (all the cool kids have them)


Not so great stuff:
  • Scoping is wierd, but maybe I just need to get used to it

  • Feels wrong to not close blocks explicitly

  • Wierd __foo__ special functions, etc. (although I don't have much room to talk since I like Perl)

  • No autovivification


Random thoughts:
  • Anyone who says it has "cleaner" object orientation than Perl probably just doesn't "get" Perl.

  • Somehow, it reminds me strongly of Javascript. They are just somehow similar.

No comments: