This blog is now hosted at consciou.us

Friday, September 21, 2007

News Flash: Veterans Administration security is shameful.

Film at 11.

Among the great quotes:

As the VA was rolling out the e-mail filtering software, the software caught about 7,000 e-mails containing Social Security numbers in just one month
and
The VA had only completed two of 22 recommendations from its inspector general following the breach

Here is the full article.

Let me get this right...

The Veterans Administration (I'm a vet, so maybe I'm a little sensitive) has been sending 7,000 emails a month with SSNs?

Pause, drumroll, please--

SEVEN THOUSAND?!

Notice that that wasn't the number of SSNs, but the number of emails, so an excel spreadsheet with 1000 SSNs counts once.

I don't even want to know what they are doing with my medical records. Maybe they are putting them up on LED readerboards across the nation?


No comments: