This blog is now hosted at consciou.us

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mobile Firefox on its way

Mike Schroepfer has an interesting article
on his blog about creating a mobile version of Firefox.

I, for one, am very excited about the prospect-- I've gradually gotten hooked on having a web browser with me all the time, and it would be very helpful to have a full featured browser available (e.g. AJAX support). I'm hopeful that the development cycle and hardware advances will intersect, producing a decent iPhone competitor.

The perfect partner for this would be the smartphone vendors, like RIM or Danger. I've already expressed my fanboy love for Blackberries, but it would really help to have a better browser included (I will admit that Opera Mini is pretty decent, but the idea of proxying everything through their servers is disconcerting).

Here's my ultimate device:

Keyboard
great email support (BB gets the nod, here, but rendering HTML mail is dodgy, and needs improving)
Great bluetooth support (keyboards, stereo headphones, etc)
high resolution screen
full featured web browser
GPS
WIFI
Must take third party applications

Notice that this looks a lot like the Blackberry 8820, which I might just buy in the interim (while the mobile firefox guys get ramped up).

What do you think? Comment below.

No comments: